- Open burning is strictly controlled according to state law
- The open burning dates are from January 15 to April 30 each year
- Persons desiring permission to burn must call the Fire Department on the day they desire a permit. There is no permit fee
- Open burning rules prohibit the burning of leaves, grass, stumps, large limbs, and trash
- Fires must be kept 75 feet away from buildings and not cause a smoke nuisance to neighbors
- In addition, the fire must be attended and a hose made available
- Burning must take place between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- High winds or dry or poor atmospheric conditions may require the Fire Department to prohibit burning at certain periods
There is no special permit required for small fire pits, but please click here to learn more about using fire pits safely.